1. What community involvement have you had?
Councillor 2008-2011: Many Chair and committee roles over past thirty years.
2. What are the top 3 issues facing West Van that need to be addressed in the next 4 years? What action would you take in these areas?
Top three issues:
Aging in place: Develop programs where West Vancouver residents are accorded priorities.
Contain major capital cost expenditures: Pursue policies which will hold Metro Vancouver and the Provincial Government’s feet to the fire.
Neighbourhood character: Some building types may, but not necessarily, need reviews. More simple,immediate solutions can be realized by more closely following the existing OCP and strengthening enforcement.
3. Over the past few years, there has been much talk about rejuvenating Ambleside. What are your thoughts on that?
Ambleside: The business district must recognize that it is imperative to complement Park Royal by providing or offering something different. This will most likely take the form of capitalizing on it’s natural features, by promoting the unique arts and cultural amenities and then more fundamental initiatives such as the creation of a BIA < Business Improvement Area >which will encourage all businesses to be more proactive.
4. Incumbents: What has been your accomplishment in the last 3 years? What do you hope to accomplish in the next 4 years?
5. WVD’s tax base is heavily tilted to residential property taxes. What would you do to broaden the tax base?
Tax base: Firstly,develop a business plan to identify opportunities. With a plan, a strategy can then be developed which is consistent with the Municipality’s boarder goals.
6. Tell us about your ideas to support commercial development in West Van.
Much of what has been said above addresses the desire to achieve a more vibrant business community .Sometimes we need to step outside our natural comfort zones to engage new ideas. We have extraordinary talent in this community. Take them to task and find out what we may have missed.